Friday, June 1, 2012

Black Bean Brownies

A few weeks ago while I was at Whole Foods wanted something sweet after drooling over their amazing bakery items. Unfortunately, I had to pull myself away since all of those yummy items have wheat and dairy in them which I no longer can have. I headed to the gluten free frozen bakery section to find something to satisfy my craving thinking that surely gluten free varieties would have options I could eat. After reading the label on every brownie, cheesecake, cookie and cupcake I almost cried. Although they didn't have wheat ingredients every single yummy thing had dairy and loads of sugar in it. I left very sad thinking that I would never be able to eat dessert again which is what I live for! Thankfully I found an amazing brownie recipe that is wheat, dairy and sugar free with an surprising main ingredient....black beans. I know, I thought the same thing when I read it."Beans in brownies? How could that ever taste good?" Since my options are very limited I took the chance and made a batch. Much to my surprise they were some of the best brownies I have ever ate and super easy to make!

Here is what you will need:

1 can Eden Organic black beans (Eden is the only company that offers beans in non-toxic BPA-free cans)
¾ cup Rapadura, coconut sugar OR 1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. coconut oil plus a little extra for the pan
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 eggs (local and free range are best)
1-½ Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 pinch sea salt
walnuts, previously soaked and drained

Directions:


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Drain and rinse beans very well then rinse again to make sure ALL of the bean liquid is gone. The last thing you want are brownies that actually tate like beans! 

3.  In your Vitamix or blender, add rinsed and drained beans, sweetner that you choose above, coconut oil, cocoa powder, eggs, vanilla and salt. 



4.  Blend until well mixed and smooth. The batter will be thin.
5.  Grease an a 8″x8″ baking dish with coconut oil.
6.  Pour batter into dish.
7.  Top with walnuts or other topping.


8. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top and sides are set, and the insides are just a little soft.


9.  Enjoy while it is still warm and oh so yummy!


Original recipe from Small Footprint Family


-Shanny

No comments:

Post a Comment