Monday, May 21, 2012

Simple Homemade Laundry Detergent

I have been making my own laundry detergent for a couple months now. I just started making it because... I could. Later, I realized how much money I could save since making your own is so extremely cheap! Also, I figured store bought detergents are probably loaded with all kinds of chemicals that are absorbed through your skin and then stay in your body for a really long time just like most of the other store bought cleaners today. So if I could make safer and cheaper laundry detergent plus have a little fun while making it then why not?


I did a little research and found that  laundry detergent companies are not required to list toxic ingredients on labels. "These chemicals, which may not appear on the label, can interact with your body’s hormones, cause reproductive harm, induce asthma, and cause cancer" (read more here).


 I'm feeling better already about making my own and wanted to share the simple recipe with all of you.


What you will need:


1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda
1 bar Fels-Naptha soap but any bar soap will work I have even used goats milk soap




1. Grate bar soap on a cheese grater until you have two cups of grated soap.



2. Mix the two cups of grated soap with the 1 cup Borax and 1 cup washing soda in a bowl until well incorporated. I found this handy little container at the dollar store for a buck but any recycled container would work just as well. I just screw the lid on tight then shake it until it is all mixed up. It also doubles as my detergent storage container.






That's it! Simple huh? I use two heaping tablespoons for a large load of laundry. It doesn't seem like you are using a lot and you aren't but this stuff is so concentrated compared to the watered down store bought stuff that you don't need to. Believe me I was skeptical at first too. I never used powered laundry detergent in my life before making this, but am glad I gave it a try. You will also notice that it doesn't suds like your average detergent. Sudsing is actually a result of the chemicals in the detergent and has nothing to do with cleaning your clothes. The first load of laundry I did with this stuff was super muddy, dirty, disgusting towels that we wipe the dogs paws off with in the winter. Much to my surprise they came out perfectly clean and I haven't bought laundry detergent since! Sometimes I do add a little Mrs. Meyer's Lavender Fabric Softener to the rinse cycle just for the amazing lavender smell that it stuff has since this detergent is pretty fragrance free depending on the bar soap you use.


Unfortunately, I can't take all the credit for this brilliant recipe. I have Pinterest to thank and One Good Thing by Jillee who's blog I love.


Thanks for reading!
-Shanny




2 comments: