Monday, May 14, 2012

Finally You Can Eat Ice Cream Every Day!

My life recently took an unexpected and dramatic turn... I am no longer supposed to eat dairy, wheat, or sugar! Me... not eat bread, cheese, yogurt, milk, dessert and ICE CREAM? My favorite food of all time?  Tragic, I know. The reasons why are a blog post in its self, but to make a long story short I quickly went hunting for a version of ice cream that I can eat because I simply cannot live without it.


This month's issue of the Whole Living magazine featured a three day cleanse/detox. It is very easy to follow and actually has pretty decent recipes. I highly recommend it to anyone that is interested in cleansing your body from all the toxins that build up over time. Anyway, one acceptable snack during the cleanse is banana "ice cream" which essentially is smashed up frozen bananas.  Of course this is the first thing I tried and it was surprisingly pretty darn good. A couple days later I found an even better banana "ice cream" recipe on Pinterest. It is super easy to make and has just a couple ingredients.


What you will need for one serving, but you can double or even quadruple it:
1 banana 
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 teaspoon coco powder


1. Peel then banana then slice it into little disks. You want a pretty ripe banana like this one.

2. Arrange the banana in one layer on a plate or cookie sheet.

3. Put in the freezer for 1 hour.


4. Put the frozen banana in a Vita-Mix or other inferior blender ;).


5. Blend. The banana will start to stick to the sides so use a tamp or rubber spatula to move the banana back to the middle. In no time you will have beautiful, light, whipped banana! Who knew frozen banana could have this consistency?

6. Add peanut butter, coco powder, and/or any other mix-ins you want. The possibilities are endless!


7. Spoon into a bowl and enjoy.

8. If you are like me you won't be able to resist this healthy little snack and will eat it right away. However, if you have more self control you can freeze it for a firmer and more scoopable consistency.


-Shanny



2 comments:

  1. Delish! You can rif off this recipe, too. I haven't eaten dairy or wheat gluten forever, but we've had tons of fun with combos of frozen bananas, coconut milk/almond milk, almond extract, vegan chocolate chips/cacao nibs, homemade preserves, dried fruit, etc. etc. So fun! The peanut butter...delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding coconut milk and fruit sounds very delightful! I got some carob chips this weekend to put in my next batch. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete